Cataract is clouding of the natural lens in the eye which leads to blurring of vision & disturbance in normal day to day activities.
Only treatment available for cataract is Cataract Surgery.
ATARACT EVALUATION – Your doctor at AEILC will do complete eye examination with
- SLIT LAMP BIOMICROSCOPE
- APPLANATION TONOMETRY
- DILATED RETINAL EXAMINATION with INDIRECT OPHTHALMOSCOPE
- IOL MASTER – Gold standard for Lens power calculation
Routine blood investigation with blood sugar & urine examination will be advised before fixing up the appointment for the operation.
Antibiotic eye drops will be prescribed one day prior to the operation.
You need to continue all your other medication related to blood pressure , heart ailment, diabetes. PLEASE DO NOT STOP ECOSPRIN, DEPLATTE tablet used for blood thinning as we do not give any injection during the operation &anaesthesia is given by eye drops.
ON THE DAY OF CATARACT SURGERY-
- You should have light breakfast with tea/coffee before reporting for surgery.
- Head bath should be taken on the day of surgery.
- Betadine eye drops will be put at the hospital & you will need to sign informed consent form prior to the surgery.
DURING THE CATARACT OPERATION-
- Lids will be separated by wire speculum & eye anaesthetized with eye drops.
- You will need to look at the microscope light during the operation which will take 7-8 minutes.
- Cataract removal is done through 1.8 mm full-stop incision through.
At the end , you will be asked to wear dark goggles. It is a NO INJECTION, NO STITCH, NO PATCH operation.
AFTER THE CATARACT OPERATION-
- Slight poking sensation & watering is normal on the first day & it gradually disappears as the healing takes place.
- You will need to put eye drops as prescribed.
- Avoid head bath & splashing water in the eye for atleast 8-10 days. Also avoid lifting heavy weight & strenuous exercises.
TYPES OF LENSES FOR CATARACT PATIENTS
PMMA(hard) vs Foldable lenses-
PMMA is a hard lens & requires little larger cut to implant it as compared to foldable lenses.
HYDROPHILIC vs HYDROPHOBIC lenses-
Rate of after-cataract is reduced significantly with hydrophobic lens material.
It will give good vision for distance & require reading glasses for near work.
It gives good vision for distance as well as near & the dependence on glasses is reduced significantly. Maximum benefit is gained when both eyes undergo surgery with the same implant.
TORIC MONOFOCAL LENSES-
This will be required to correct any cylindrical number . It will improve distant vision but reading glasses will be required.
TORIC MULTIFOCAL LENSES-
It corrects cylindrical power along with near vision.
It is the greatest risk in cataract operation & can occur in 1 in 1000 operation.
OUR BRAND PROMISE- 0 % INFECTION
We at AEILC have achieved this over the last 2 years & continuously striving to maintain the same year on year.
Any question that you may have will be clarified by your doctor at AEILC during your first consultation prior to operation.