LASIK is an acronym for âœLaser Assisted In Situ Keratomileusisâ.
In Lasik, a flap is created in the cornea with a hinge (around 90-130 micron) & then excimer laser is applied on the corneal bed to reshape the cornea according to the spectacle number.
It can correct myopia, hyperopia & astigmatism with high degree of precision.
We at AEILC are doing Lasik Surgery in Mumbai since 2007 under the guidance of Dr Hitesh Chheda with NIDEK EC 5000 CXIII excimer laser from Japan.
You will undergo complete eye examination before the Lasik surgery which will include
- REFRACTION WITH AUTOKERATOREFRACTOMETER
- APPLANATION TONOMETRY
- DILATED RETINAL EVALUATION.
- TOPOGRAPHY & ABBEROMETRY WITH NIDEK OPD SCAN III ANALYSER
- PACHYMETRY MAP WITH OPTOVUE ANTERIOR SEGMENT OCT.
After complete evaluation, your doctor at AEILC will be able to tell you whether you are right candidate for lasik.
TYPES OF LASIK SURGERY-
- BASIC(optimsed) In this , your spectacle number is fed in the machine & treatment is done.
- Customised (wavefront guided)- In this , in addition to your spectacle number, lot of other measurements of the eye are taken into consideration (from Nidek OPD scan III)& treatment is undertaken.
- BLADE LESS- In this , corneal flap is created with Z laser instead of microkeratome.
BEFORE LASIK SURGERY-
- You should discontinue wearing contact lenses for atleast a week.
- On the day of lasik surgery, you should have light breakfast.
- Antibiotic eye drops will be put and skin around the eye will be prepared with betadine solution.
DURING LASIK SURGERY-
- Eye will be anaesthetized with paracain eye drops so that entire procedure is painless.
- Lids are separated & held in position by speculum to avoid eye squeezing during laser treatment.
- Suction ring is applied around the cornea & then corneal flap created by microkeratome OR with Z laser in bladeless lasik.
- After the creation of the flap, it is lifted & you need to focus on the fixation red light when the laser ablation is carried out to reshape the cornea.
- Flap is then rolled back in to position & the edges are dried with cellulose sponge so that it sticks with capillary action.
- At the end, antibiotic eye drops are applied & the same procedure is repeated on the other eye.
AFTER LASIK PROCEDURE-
- You will be asked to wait in the waiting area for 10-15 minutes with your eyes closed.
- You will be examined by your doctor before asked to go home.
- On the day of lasik surgery, you should rest with your eyes closed for faster healing.
- You will be asked to put antibiotic & lubricating eye drops 4 times a day.
- From the very next day, vision becomes clear & you can resume your normal work.
CAUTIONS AFTER LASIK SURGERY
After the lasik surgery, you should avoid rubbing the eyes & avoid splashing water in the eye for atleast 15 days.
FOLLOW UP EXAMINATION-
Will be done on the very next day & one week later.
PRK (PHOTO REFRACTIVE KERATECTOMY)
- It will be required if the corneal thickness is less than anticipated.
- Instead of creating the flap, epithelium is removed & laser is applied directly on the surface & hence it is also called surface ablation.
- Recovery takes 4-5 days by which time epithelium grows back.